Jun 13, 2015

skimpy script

Swampmen cover by Frank Cho.
Excerpt from the interview included in COMIC BOOK CREATOR #6 presents SWAMPMEN: MUCK-MONSTERS AND THEIR MAKERS (page 135, Twomorrows, 2014).
The interview was conducted by Jon B. Cooke & George Khoury in May 2002. 

I know that I've been notorious or famous for doing those very long scripts. When I went back to look at the first "Marvelman" script, I was shocked. How did I ever get away with this skimpy script? These descriptions are barely a paragraph long! Some of the panel descriptions are a few lines. These days, say Promethea, that's going to be a 48 pages of type for a 24-page comic, and there have been some like the Moebius strip page in Promethea #15 where the script was 10 pages of manuscript describing it, because it was very complex. I can imagine that my scripts were a lot longer than what DC was used to. [Alan Moore]

No comments: