Mar 28, 2020

On ratings system and censorship

Excerpt from The politics and morality of rating and self-censorship, the editorial written by Alan Moore as guest for the Comics Buyer's Guide, published the 13th February 1987. The piece was reprinted in The Comics Journal n. 117, September 1987.
Alan Moore: [...] I believe a ratings system, or indeed any kind of censorship, to be akin to shooting oneself in the foot in the fond hope that this will make people feel too sorry for you to shoot you in the head. It seems to me both impractical and spineless, genuinely demeaning to the medium, its audience, and the people who work within it.
I have worked long and hard for this medium, this industry, and it deserves better than this. If any person or publisher seeks to negotiate a surrender of truce with the book burners, they are at liberty to do so, but not on my behalf. Not without telling me first.
Since I cannot be a party to this kind of behavior, with the conclusion of the work that I am actually contracted to do, I shall be producing no work in the future for any publisher imposing a ratings system upon its creators and readers.
Frankly, I don't even know if I could write comics of the type that must surely follow the introduction of these measures. It would seem hypocritical to feed young readers stories of courage and heroism while working in an industry apparently incapable of same. Or perhaps the comics will adjust their notions of bravery accordingly:
"Superman? It's an ultimatum from Luthor. He says he wants to destroy the whole of America! What shall we do?"
"No sweat, Lois. We'll nuke New Jersey and hope he goes away satisfied."
In closing, I'm sorry if the above sounds bitter or angry or accusatory or arrogant. Given my state of mind while writing, it may indeed be all those things, but I'm reluctant to say goodbye to a mainstream industry that I've enjoyed working in with words that leave such an unpleasant taste.
I have enjoyed, over the last few years, the wonderful creative freedom that your American industry offers, the welcome support of editors and publishers and a very appreciative, very mature, and intelligent readership. I'm sorry if these current developments mean that I'm going to have to say goodbye to much of that, but to me it feels necessary. Looking like a shrill, over-reactive prima donna is something I can live with. Compromising my integrity to appease a bunch of political thugs is something I can't.
As many CBG correspondents have helpfully pointed out, this leaves me with one clear course of action: I have some stout and stylish footwear upon my feet, and I know where the door is.
In the end, these may be the only "rights" that any of us can truly depend on.
More content here: TCJ n. 118 interview.

No comments: