Apr 12, 2024

The Double Life of Private Strong

Below, a short excerpt from the 1-page intro that Moore wrote for ShieldMaster: Blast To The Past comic book. Get a copy, if you can! More info about the Kickstarter project HERE!
[...] When I was six or seven years old and becoming rapidly addicted to the American comic-books that would sporadically find their way across the Atlantic as ballast on cargo-ships, it was always, I later realised, this pair's work [Joe Simon and Jack Kirby] that made the deepest and most lasting impression. So electrified was I by my first glimpse of The Double Life of Private Strong, with its hero leaping towards us in a manner that elegantly avoids the hail of machine-gun bullets he is diving into, that I persuaded my mother to make me a vague simulation of the character's stars-and-stripes vest, and immediately commenced my superhero career. It lasted less than a week, but this was in no way the fault of the costume. Luckily, I wasn't fired on by a machine-gun during those few days. [...]

Alan Moore
Northampton
September 9th, 2023

No comments: