Nov 20, 2019

Fan letter to Alan Moore

The 18th of November I was surprised but really pleased to receive an email which said: 
"Hello Mr. Smoky, I've recently picked up the Watchmen again after about 10 years, and the second time around, I've fallen in love with it. I wanted to send a fan letter to Mr. Moore, but it's hard to reach him. If you could forward my letter to him, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
I replied: "I can't forward your heartfelt letter to Moore but, if you agree, I can post it on my blog and share the link all around. It's possible that The Man will read it."

So, here we are! Thank you, Paul! And... enjoy!

Dear Alan Moore,

It has taken me 40 years of living life and learning about perspective to finally understand your love for the comic book medium, your hope for the medium’s capacity, and your level of disappointment in the way the industry treated you. The energy of youth meets the harshness of real life (I know all about it now).

I find your approach of exposing topics that fester in the silence formed from human discomfort fascinating and innovative. Differences can’t be addressed unless they’re discussed. However our generation faces a new challenge. Social media, while ultimately positive, moves too quickly and definitively for multi-perspective discussions where people are allowed to be wrong in order to encourage more ideas. The consequences of being wrong or even just different are immediate and overwhelming, and therefore leads to silence and less discussion.

The human condition is a beast that will not die easily, and while you injured it pretty nicely, it has found new legs and this generation could use a skilled warrior’s insights. However, I completely understand your current position. I just wanted to let you know that your work has spoken to me and has inspired me so I’m grateful.
-Paul Im

No comments: