Aug 20, 2022

UKAC 1987: The Mobbing of Alan Moore

Art by Iskander (IzzY World) Islam
Excerpt from The Mobbing of Alan Moore, an article by Iskander (IzzY World) Islam remembering the events of The UK Comic Art Convention (UKAC) in 1987; published in 2018 in Fanscene n.2
You can read the complete article downloading the fanzine HERE, page 33-34. 
Iskander (IzzY World) Islam is part of the Avengers UK fan project and writer/artist of Defenders UK series. More info here.

You can also enjoy the whole Fanscene archive HERE. Also check the amazing project by editor David Hathaway-Price HERE: a digital repository for UK Comics Fanzines!
Iskander (IzzY World) Islam: [...] The man running up the stairs was Alan Moore.
Now, as I said, at that time you didn't really know many faces of creators unless they were superstars, Legends or you followed their work - but at this time Alan Moore was at the height of his fame. V for Vendetfa, Swamp Thing and the recently released Watchmen had made Moore a [reluctant] Super Star. He was also very distinctive, all in black with huge hair and a beard. He looked like a cross between Roy Wood and John Lennon.

So there I was walking down the stairs and sort of didn't want to disturb him and was pretending to be 'cool' and not act like a fanboy even though inside l was screaming "THAT’S ALAN MOORE!"

I suddenly realised all was not well, he was being pursued up the stairs. All of a sudden on the area where the stairs double backed we crossed paths and he was mobbed by a whole bunch of guys - they literally cornered him on the stairwell... it was like something out of the Beatles era!
They were all talking at once and he backed up in the corner against the railings. He looked terrified then starting to lose his temper and looked quite taken aback. It was at this point I made a mistake - I turned to go back and as I had a ‘guest’ badge thought I might say something to them but I hesitated. I wish I had said something to the crowd but they probably would've said 'who the f‘**** are you?' or "Who is this kid?" and probably would have got shirty with me. As I was inexperienced at being at comic cons and was just not sure if this was normal, basically, I bottled it.

To this day I regret it. 

I did stay to see that he managed to talk them around to back off and give him space. But the damage was done.

Moore has mentioned this period in interviews and in particular the fact that he was once also cornered by fans in the toilets (Dave Gibbons was with him too as I understand). I didn't realise how much it still haunts him!

I believe that he avoids comic cons now after that year's experiences at UKAC. To be honest I don't blame him!!!

No comments: